Friday 19 November 2010

Chapter 28

Xavier vanished.
Rowan looked around and panicked. Had she done that? She want sure, she hadn’t been thinking straight there for a minute. She was still standing in a strange room. Rather like someone living room, yet it was eerily quiet and devoid of anything homey. She had no idea where she was other than a room with white walls and some furniture that didn’t look at all comfortable.
What if she really had incinerated him? Surly she would know if she had. She would feel it. Wouldn’t she? She loved him, she would know if he no longer existed. She didn’t feel sad, so she deduced that she hadn’t incinerated him, well that and there wasn’t any dust where he had been. Surly if she had done what she had thought then there would some evidence of him having been there. Maybe just sent him packing with his tail between his legs.... Oh god what if she’d given him a tail? She laughed out loud; it would serve him right for not trusting her.
How could he think that she wanted to have anything to do with that slimy sod? His words rand in her head as she looked around. He had put her through hell on a stupid misunderstanding, hadn’t trusted in her love for him.
He’s a man Rowan, she told herself, they never see the whole picture.
Should she forgive his mistake? He hadn’t even bothered to confront her, he just took off and left her to wonder what she had done. Was this the kind of man she wanted to be with?
Hell yes. With a few adjustments maybe. Like, he needed to trust her and not run from her anymore. He needed to be more communicative. Now that’s asking for the impossible.
Then she saw it.
A small blue, velvet box. Where had that come from? Picking it up she played with it, noticing it's softness, before opening it up.
Inside was a blood red ruby, in a tear shape. It was exquisite. She touched the ruby and it flared to life, glowing, the glow intensified before flashing. Causing her to drop the box.
She bent down to pick it up, but the ring had gone. It must have fallen out when she dropped it, so going down onto her hands and knees she searched for it.
It was only then that she noticed her finger. The ring was on it.
Holy cow. How had it gotten there?
She tried to pull it off but it wouldn’t budge. She stuck the finger in her mouth and sucked on it, but it still remained firmly attached to her.
She sat back on her heals. Whoever owned this ring was going to have to cut her finger off to get it back and judging at how expensive it looked, they probably would. She burst out laughing, she couldn’t help it. Her life seemed to go from one trauma to the next lately, and she wondered what the next thing would be.
*
“What were you thinking?” Xavier asked.
“That you were about to become shish- kebab, if I didn’t pull you out.” Daniel said.
“She wouldn’t have.”                      
“Oh believe me, she was going to.” Daniel said holding up his hands. “But, she has control back now, so I will take you back, if you wish.”
“Of course I want to go back. I need her, there’s no point in staying alive if she won’t forgive me.”
“Dear god, you humans are emotional. What is it that makes you feel so fully, that you would rather be dead than live without her?”
“I can't explain it, so I'm not even going to try. Just take me back, she’s probably scared witless.”
“You underestimate her Xavier. It's a bad habit to get into.”
“No. I don't, I just want to take care of her. I will never underestimate her again.”
“Good.”
*
The next thing he knew he was standing in the doorway, looking at Rowan kneeling on the floor. She was laughing, the sound filled the air and wrapped around him.
He took a step forward and she turned to look at him.
“Your back!” She stated.
“Uhuh.” He said while nodding his head. The picture she presented in front of him was breath taking and he just wanted to soak it up.
“You know, I'm getting kinda sick of you leaving me and then showing up. Is this what you do when things don't go your way? Will you be running off anytime things get a little uncomfortable?” She said, her voice stern.
“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again. I'm here to stay, if you’ll have me?”
“That depends.”
“On?”
Xavier’s heart took flight and he had to really concentrate on not grabbing her and kissing those incredibly sexy lips as she moved them, he was dimly aware of her words. After she had said it depends, he knew she would forgive him, because he would do whatever it took, whatever she wanted him to do he would do it.
“Xavier. Are you even listening to me?” She bristled; the fire in her eyes as she glared at him, snapped him into motion. He couldn’t resist her any longer.  
He crossed the short distance between them, wrapped his arms around her, as his lips sought to silence her. This is where she belonged, and this is where she would stay.
His fingers found their way into her hair and he deepened the kiss. His tongue danced with hers, her groan and response to him was beautiful to his ears.
His whole body screamed to claim her, make her his for eternity.
He was so lost in her that when she pulled back he felt it soul deep.
“You can't keep doing this. I want more than just this, Xavier. I want someone I can trust, someone who trust me.”
“I am that someone Rowan. I always have been.”
She frowned, her eyes turning hard and her voice losing its husky edge. Xavier swallowed hard to stop from kissing her again. She wanted to talk and he needed to give that to her, even if his whole body wanted her naked.
“I need to know you’re not going to run out on me again Xavier. That you will talk to me instead of disappearing and wallowing in your misery, because it's not just you who was miserable you know.”
Tears were swimming on the edges of her eyes until she blinked them away.
“I’m here, and I'm here to stay. The fires of hell wouldn’t keep me away from you Rowan. I'm so sorry I upset you, if I could take it back, I would. I wish I could.”
“ It takes two to make a relationship work, and I'm not sure you are capable of that kind of commitment. You may have forgotten, but I have seen your memories, I know how many women you have been with.” She said, never taking her eyes off him.
“They meant nothing to me, you mean everything. I love you. Please give me a chance.”
“I know they meant nothing, I saw that much, but how do I know that I'm not just another notch on your bed post?”
Xavier took her hand and kissed it. Then he noticed the ring.
The ring that had been in his family for generations, and was said to only fit the soul mate of the owner, and he was that owner. His father had taken it off his mother’s finger, and given it to him, this afternoon. The only way that the ring could be removed once on, was for him to take it off.
Xavier went down on one knee, still holding her hand, he slipped the ring down her finger to the tip and held it there.
“Princess Rowan. Will you marry me?” He asked, if that didn’t prove he was committed nothing would.
Rowan didn’t answer. Xaviers heart punded so loud in his chest, it was all he could hear.
“You’re my soul mate Rowan, we belong together. Please be my wife.” He said kissing her finger before sliding the ring back into place.

1 comment: