Saturday 13 November 2010

Chapter 16

“Hey buddy, I have no quarrel with you.” Xavier said, holding his hands up. He didn’t have time for this, never mind the fact that he was outnumbered by oh at least what looked like 50 pairs of glowing animal eyes. Who was this guy and how did he control animals?
Rogue was leaning against a tree looking very relaxed, for someone that wanted to tangle, Xavier thought.
The low chuckle was unsettling.
“Well this is new. I think I like this you.”
“What?”
“Yeah definitely! You’re usually such a surly bastard, and frankly, hard to be around.”
“You’re crazy mate. If you’re not here to fight me, then get out of my way. And stay out of it.”
“And he’s back.”
Xavier backed up slowly, never taking his eyes off this new enemy, that was clearly nuts.
“Where you going?”
“I don't have time to stay and have coffee with you. If you want to fight me, do it. Otherwise, I have things to do.” He said still backing away from the unholy eyes that where following him.
“Oh, why did I agree to this? Remind me to ask you for hazard pay. You so own me, and don't think I will forget this.” Rogue said, stepping towards Xavier.
“Huh?” This was getting crazier and crazier, what would he own this guy. As for pay, well that was... was even crazier. Crazy seems to be your life right now and apparently the word of the day too.
“I'm here to help you, not fight you, you twat. To stop you going ahead with your plan, getting  your ass handed to you, and losing Rowan.”
“How do you know Rowan?” Xavier felt his heart rate picked up at the mention of her name.
“I'm not drunk, and the last I checked,” he said, pulling his shirt from his body and looking down it, “I don't have boobs. Not for lack of wishing on my part, but hey,” he shrugged, you never know what the future holds do you.” Rogue laughed. “Well you don't but even in my time men don't have boobs.”
“What?”
“I'm not a woman Xav, and you’re talking as much as one, and asking as many questions, we don't have time for.”
“If you weren’t fucking talking in riddles, I wouldn’t  have too. Who are you and why are you here? That’s all I need to know. Now fucking answer me, Fight me, or get the hell out of my way, you crazy son of a bitch.”
“Thats more like it. I'm your friend. You sent me to stop you making the mistake that leaves you pining after Rowan, for years mate.”
“I don't know you.”
“Not yet you don't. But trust me, I'm here to help you. Now it's up to you. Listen to me and save Rowan or don't, it's upto you. At this point I'm thinking that I shouldn’t tell you anything, if you don't go through with your plan then we wont meet and I wont be free in my time. It's just lucky for you that I owe you my life, just promise me that you will do something to set me free, and soon.”
“I'm listening. What do you have to say about saving her?”
“First off. If you go in there you lose and almost die. Secondly, what you seek is with Darkess, and he is........” Rogue tapped his chin, eyes looking at his feet. “I’d say, roughly, under our feet right now.”
“How do you know all this?”
“It was me that saved your ass last time you were here. And I don't mind telling you, I'm wondering why I bothered.  I dragged your carcass and hid you from everyone while you lazed around licking your wounds.”
“If you know so much, tell me. Will this save her?”
“Now, now, I can't tell you too much Xav, that was your request. It will change the future too much and if we do that, all hell could break loose.”
“You’re a strange fucker, aren’t you?”
“You’re welcome, now come on, we’re running out of time here. Follow me and let’s get the Onyx.” Rogue shifted into an enormous tiger. Yes a tiger. Holly shit, there really are shape shifters. You’d think that in a world that had vampires he’d know everything, apparently not. Still standing staring at the madman that was now looking at him like he was dinner, he didn’t know what to do. Should he trust this guy/tiger or not? Was this a set up or not? Why was his life so complicated? If he really had sent someone to help him from the future, why hadn’t he used the code, the word that he and his father used to convey trust. Had he forgotten this in the future?
If he messed this up, Rowan would die for sure, which way did he go?

2 comments: