Saturday 13 November 2010

Chapter 18

Xaviers blood drained momentarily before going supernova. His weariness overshadowed by the fact that Daniel was here for her. Why couldn’t he get a break, just 30 minutes would be good, not much to ask. Ah shit.
“You can't have her, I don't care what her father said to you, she is not yours.”
“She had always been mine Xavier. Always.”
“NO, I'm not letting you take her. If you come any closer, I will kill you.” He said taking two swords from the bag of goodies Alexion had given him, and swinging them like the pro he was. He was lucky they were light because his arms were already burning with fatigue.
“You can't kill me Xavier.”
“The hell I can't.” He said setting his feet apart and arranging the swards one above his head the other waist height. The perfect fighting stance.
“NO you really can't, I'm an angel, we don't die.”
“Fallen angel, and everything dies.” He said not moving even though his arms were burning, his legs probably shacking.
“You are strong. You have a good heart. Your a fighter.” Daniel said, more to himself than to him he thought.
What was it with fucking riddles and poetry today, everyone he’d been in contact with had been on some other plant when it came to conver- bloody- sation. Note to self, read more poetry, it's filled with riddles and sonnets.
 “I'm not actually here for her, so you can rest your arms before they fall off.” Daniel said walking closer to him.
If Daniel thought he would rest now he was mistaken, the burning was keeping him up.
“I'm here to save you.”
Yeah right. What would he need saving from other than the stink that he was all over him?
“From what?” he asked
“From Rowan. When she wakes, she is going to kill you.”
“Rowan. Don't make me laugh. She wouldn’t hurt me. you on the other hand,”
“You have nothing to fear from me Xavier. Honestly. But you must listen and listen carefully. This is not a laughing matter. I wouldn’t be here now if I didn’t think you were good enough or strong enough for my daughter.”
“Your what?” He asked, thinking he’d miss heard Daniel. He hadn’t just called Rowan his daughter had he? He must be more drained than he thought, Oh this is not going to go well for me, he thought, not when I can't even keep my hearing in check.
“Rowan is my daughter. I impregnated her mother to give them a child. It was wrong of me and a mistake I put right by taking her away and hiding her from everyone. You see, it has been prophesised, that she will bring about the destruction of the world. But I still can't bring myself to kill her. I believe that love will save her and the world and as you love her you can save her from herself.”
“HUH.” His brain was definitely shutting down and he was SO hearing things. His Rowan couldn’t hurt a fly never mind destroy the world.
“You must be mistaken, Rowan isn’t like that,”
“Not now she isn’t, but when she wakes up she will feed on you, and kill you. Then she will destroy the world because of it, she wont be able to control the rage.”
“Dear god. What have got myself into here?” He said not realising it was out load until Daniel stood in front of him with a frown on his face and his lips pursed.
“Have I misjudged you Xavier? Are you not in love with my daughter?”
“Don't put words in my mouth, I just need a minute to digest your little disclosure.”
“You have twenty minutes before she wakes up.”
“So what do I do to stop her from killing me?”
“You have to feed from her, her life force is the only thing that will keep you alive once she wakes up. She will feed from you, but you wont die. But and this is a very big BUT, once you bond with her she will always need to feed from you, Always, and I will make sure that happens. Even if you change your mind. You need to decide now if you love her enough to give up your human existence, once it's done it can never be undone. Do you understand what I'm saying?”
“Yes.”
“There is another I can bring here if you chose not to do this. Another who will love her as you do, but you will lose her if that happens; she will love the person she is bonded to. Are you following all this Xavier?”
“Yes.”
“You have ten minutes to choose. I will leave you to think, I will be back for your decision. Make the right choice Xavier.”
“Yes.”
He had ten minutes to decide the existence of his life. Ten minutes to make a decision that would change him forever. Ten measly minuets, how was he supposed to make this kind of decision when his brain was dead tiered and just wanted to shut down for the night. 
In ten minutes he would either lose Rowan forever or change his existence into something he never wanted to be, a blood thirsty vampire. Once he fed from her he’d become that which he despised, that which hunted and fed on innocent people.
Would she really love him that way?
He’d thought that he would lose his humanity to this girl at the beginning, why hadn’t he walked away from her then? If he had he would still be... still be miserable, but he would be miserable without being a blood thirsty vampire.
 He like the fact he could eat real food and go out in the sun without burning up. Liked that he would one day grow old and leave this world.
Didn’t like the fact that this would mean immortality as monster.  
As much as he loved her, he didn’t know if he could do it. Maybe he should let someone else be with her.
If he was having this much trouble deciding, maybe he wasn’t as in love with her as he thought, maybe it was just that she’d been so different,  he’d convinced himself she was the one for him. He’d only really know her for what? Forty eight hours and in that time hadn’t really spent any time with her. How was he meant to give up something he held so dear to a total stranger? He walked over to Rowan and looked down on her sleeping form. Do I really love you?
So caught up in his mind he hadn’t heard Daniel come back until he spoke.
“It's been ten minutes Xavier, what is your choice?”

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I had to read this Heather. Now I can go to bed! You're getting pretty good at these cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete