Friday 12 November 2010

Chapter 15

“Alexion, what is it? What have you done?” Shea’s voice drifted out of the cracked doorway Xavier was going to open.
“Oh, Shea, I'm so sorry, so sorry.” Alexions voice sounded broken, defeated and devoid of hope. Xavier stood frozen outside the door.
“Tell me my love. What has you so upset?”
“I didn’t know this would happen, if I had, I would never have made the bargain. Never. You have to believe me.”
“What bargain? What are you talking about? Tell me whats going on Alexion. Your making no sense right now.”
“I. Oh god what have I done.” His voice was muffled and anguished. Xavier couldn’t stand there anymore, he had to know what was going on. He also didn’t have time to waste.
 “Alexion.” Xavier said striding into the room, but his anger faded when he looked at the once proud king, sitting on the floor, knees pulled to his chest with his head buried in his hands. While Shea paced the room in front of him.
“What have you done?” Was all Xavier could managed to say as dread filled him. What would have the feared Alexion sitting on the floor like a frightened child?
Alexion raised his head and just shook it, his eyes where rimmed red, his face black and blue, blood crusted in his hair and clothes.  Xavier’s audible gasp filled the room, breaking the silence.
“There is nothing we can do. She is theirs now.” Alexion’s voice cracked.
“Rowan?”
“Yes, they’re going to take her.”
“Who is going to take her?” Xavier and Shea asked together. This was like drawing blood from a stone Xavier acknowledged.
“The fallen ones. Daniel. He wants her.” Alexion’s voice was a whisper.
Xavier didn’t have a clue what Alexion was saying. He turned to see if Shea had any idea and the look on her face truly scared him.
“What are you saying Alexion. I don't have time for this, just tell me what’s going on.”
“Shea, do you remember before she was born? The problems we had conceiving? The depression you went into each time.... each time it..... it didn’t go well?”
“Yes.” Shea breathed, pain visible on her beautiful face. Xavier wanted to comfort her. He couldn’t get over how much they looked alike.
“I couldn’t let you go through that again my love, I couldn’t watch it tare you apart, I was losing you and I did the only thing I could think of at the time. I asked the fallen angels for help. Daniel watched over you to ensure the pregnancy would go full term. What he didn’t tell me is that he gave our baby angels blood and now he is calling in that debt. He wants Rowan to be his.”
“Over my dead body.” Xavier shouted.
“Hush boy, or you may just see what hell looks like, close up.”
“I don't give a dam what this Daneil wants. He can't have her.”
“You wouldn’t last a nano second in his presence boy. Trust me on that. Where do you think I have just come from, and the only reason I am still alive to tell you this, is because of who I am. He would squash you without thought.”
“Call the blood rites and get you army ready. He is not taking her without one hell of a fight.”
“I like your spirit boy but it wont be enough. You saw Rowan tonight. Her wings. She is one of them, and she has only an once of their power. What chance do you have against that? ”
“My name is Xavier. Prince of Night. NOT boy.” Xavier felt the power building inside him .
“And if you wont fight for her, I will. Until the last breath leaves my body.”  His voice hard and icy.
“A war it is then.” Alexion said, getting up from the floor to stand in front of Xavier. He took his hand and pulled him into a tight man hug. “If you will give your life for my daughter, then so shall I.”
“Glad to have you back.” Shea said, standing beside them.
“Get My father out of your dungeon, we will need him.”
“He wont be cooperative Xavier, he’s not the man you once knew. And for that I am the most ashamed.”
“you don't know him like I do. Get him and tell him ‘Supercalifragilistic’ he will understand. Tell him I love him and will see him soon, but I need to go now, I need all the starr’s you can spare.”
“where are you going?” Alexion and Shea asked together.
“To set Rowan free.”
“She is free, she is here, is she not?” Alexion asked.
“Yes she’s here, but locked in hell right now, and if I don't get her what she needs, what she told me she needs, then we will lose her and this war will be unnecessary. We’re fighting on two fronts here Alexion, two enemies that hold your daughters life. I intend to rid us of one.”
“She told you what to do?”
“Yes, I can't explain it, I don't understand it myself, but she told me she needs the onyx charm, and I think Darkess has it. I don't know what it does, or even if it will help, but it's the only thing I have to go on.”
“You can't go up against him on your own. I will come with you. If this is what she needs, I’ll make sure she gets it.”
“NO, I go alone. You need to stay here and take care of her and work with my father on gathering an army, If I succeed in this, we will need to be ready.”
“Then you shall have whatever you need.” Alexion said.
“Just the starr’s, I need to do this quietly and quickly, keep her safe until I return.”
“Don't fail her Xavier.”
“I wont.”
Alexion handed him a bag with 5 starr’s and some evil looking weapons. Xavier smiled, he would enjoy using them.
*
“Mother!” Xavier shouted, entering the kitchen. His house was in tatters. Nothing was left standing. His mother had put up one hell of a fight after he had left and Meridian had taken Rowan.
He found his mother lying on the floor, she was alive, but barley. Shit, she wouldn’t be able to help him find Darkess. He used two of the starr’s to get her back to Alexion, he couldn’t leave her behind.
“Alexion, Shea,” He called walking into the throne room. His father was there. “Here take her, I have to leave.” Xavier said looking at his fathers hopeful expression, before handing his mother to him.
“Wait. Son!” Xavier turned, not wanting to start a conversation that needed to be had, but was not the time to have it. He wanted to hug his father, but emotions were best left alone right now. He needed to find Drakess, not have a reunion with his father.
“I don't have time dad, I need to leave, I have to find Darkess, and now I don't have mother to help me.” he said.
“I can help you.”
“you can?”
“Yes.”
“Great. Do it.”
He watched his father holding his mother’s body in his arms as he worked on locating Darkess. He looked good, what was Alexion talking about earlier. His father looked the same. Huge and intimidating as hell, especially with his blood red eyes and grim expression.
“He’s in a castle. And Xavier, he’s not alone.”
“Where’s the castle?”
“The Scottish borders, here give me your hand and I’ll show you.”
Xavier held out his hand, his mother had never been able to project what she saw. This was new and it would work so much fast then asking question, especially as his father hadn’t seen the human realm in a very long time.
“Thanx dad.” Xavier said taking out a starr, ready to leave.
“Son, You have grown into quite some man and I'm proud of you, but you shouldn’t go alone, don't be stubborn. Let someone help you.”
“ You do not know me.”
“You are just like me, son, I know you. Darkess is waiting for you, and he has at least 50 others with him. If you go alone you will lose.”
“I'm not going alone. I have the only one I trust coming with me. Rowan, she is with me I can feel it. I don't intend to get involved in a fight, I’ll grab Darkess and return with him.”
“Be carful son, if anything happens to you your mother will kill me for letting you go alone.”
“No she wont, she’s missed you too much. Look, dad I have to go, I know what you’re doing, trying to keep me talking, your just the same as mother, but I'm grown now, I don't need to be protected.”
*
Xavier landed, in a crouch. And looked around, it was dark and cold. His breath came out in clouds.
“You took your time! I’ve been waiting for you.” a voice said from behind him.
Spinning to face his enemy, he froze. An army of animals stood behind a red haired man.
“Who are you?” Xavier asked, how he held his voice steady, he'd never know. He was so out numbered. Rowan would die. He felt a single tear roll down his cheek, he had let her down.
“Rogue, lets do this.” the red headed man told him.

3 comments: